Most international flights will land in NAIROBI. If your flight lands late, you may want to spend the night near the airport before travelling onwards.
- Hilton Garden Inn Nairobi Airport
- Sheraton Four Points
Where to stay in Shela
Shela is small (you can walk everywhere in 5 mins) but it offers a wide range of accommodation.
Airbnb has some wonderful wonderful apartments and villas. I highly recommend this option! Wherever you choose, make sure it's in Shela, because there are no cars on the island and Lamu town is a 15min boat ride away. If you can't find anything in Shela, Manda (the island opposite Shela across the channel) may also be an option.
If you prefer to stay in a hotel, Peponi Hotel is the nicest (~£200 per night). Other great options (~$50-100 per night) are:
- Banana House (which also has a beautiful yoga studio)
- Kisimani House (built for the Caliph to house his harem)
A word on security
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to certain areas:
- Lamu County (excluding Lamu Island and Manda Island, which are quite safe for tourists)
- Areas within 60km of the Kenya-Somali border (NOTE: Mike's Camp is within 40km of the border, personally I find it safe to travel here)
- Garissa County
- Areas of Tana River County north of the Tana river itself
- Within 15km of the coast from the Tana river down to the Galana (Athi-Galana-Sabaki) river
For the latest updates, visit the FCO website: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/kenya
© 2019. Nikki Bikini LTD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.